Re: [SLE] Re: Read this, then go puke.
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:53:26 -0400
Curtis Rey wrote:
> that they think they will. I have read countless articles about the
> displeasure and skepticism related to the license agreement, the
> .Net/HailStorm, and their ASP/Software as leaseware plan. I hope your right.
> Never underestimate the ability or the end-user to fall back onto whats
> comfortable.
Does anyone remember the Digital Equipment Corp. VAX/VMS licensing
disaster from sometime back in the 1980s? They tried to require that
the operating system license could not be sold with an old VAX and
DEC wanted purchasers of used VAXes to buy a new license which was
very expensive. This ruins potential sales of used equipment because
it would have cost the purchaser too much to buy the new license.
This caused such an uproar in the DEC using community that DEC finally
gave up on that idea. I can't wait until next year to see what is
the outcome of this new M$ scheme.

The M$ greed is one of the reasons I got interested in Linux. The
other reason was ip masquerading. The main reason I chose SuSE was
because another customer in the store at the time I was trying to
make a selection said that he liked SuSE because they seemed less
greedy than even the other SuSE distributions. I haven't learned as
fast as I would like to but the latest M$ developments give me
more incentive to learn more Linux. Now with the release of Kylix
I have a better chance of using it here at work.

Damon Register