Re: [SLE] NVIDIA drivers (again!) and unresolved symbols
  • From: Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:52:07 -0400
Paul Abrahams wrote:

> Mark Hounschell wrote:
>
> > Paul Abrahams wrote:
> >
> > > An update: recompiling the kernel with the correct processor type made the error
> > > message go away. I can now use the NVidia drivers again. But the problem with
> > > them remains: after one iteration through kdm, the virtual terminals (Alt-Ctl-F2,
> > > etc.) no longer work.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >
> > What do you mean "after one iteration through kdm".
>
> I boot my system and kdm starts. I log in. Ctl-Alt-F2 works. If I log out and log
> in again, Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work; I get a dead screen. Ctl-Alt-F7 brings the screen
> back and revives the mouse.
>
> I know the problem is related to kdm and to xdm, which lies underneath it. With a
> different login manager such as gdm, it doesn't happen.
>
> > Have you looked at
> > the stuff
> > in your kernel config that I suggested. The agp stuff in particular.
> > Unless you
> > have a supported chip set in there you should disable all of it. Also
> > framebuffer
> > support (which is in the console drivers section). It's what gives you
> > the little
> > penguin in the top left corner when you boot up? That screwed me up
> > good.
>
> Both AGP support and framebuffer support are disabled. That doesn't solve the
> problem.
>
> > My
> > symptoms were I think similar in that from the kdm login screen any
> > (Alt-Ctl-fx)
> > or reboot or shutdown from there would hang my system and I would have
> > to hit
> > the reset switch. After removing framebuffer support in my kernel and
> > unchecking
> > the agp stuff that didn't apply to my system I was then able to do the
> > above.
> > Note: Even though I was able to do those things (reboot/shutdown) from
> > the kdm
> > login screen then, my screen is still black while it is happening. My
> > only
> > indication it's rebooting/shutting down is the disk activity light.
>
> I get the kdm startup screen with the logo moving around. But the behavior is
> similar. What happens on your system if you try to switch to a virtual terminal
> after logging out (not rebooting) and logging in again?

It looks like the same as you. After bootup all is ok but after exiting
and logging
backin they do not work and ALT-CTL-F7 gets me back ok. But since I
never do that
anyway it doesn't bother me. Once in kde all works great. If I need a
term I open
konsole. I have never had a need to use the ALT-CTL-Fx from within kde
or the kdm
prompt. Oh well, you know what the doctor says, if it hurts don't do it.

Regards
Mark