Re: [SLE] NVIDIA drivers (again!) and unresolved symbols
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:36:11 -0400
Mark Hounschell wrote:

> Paul Abrahams wrote:
>
> > An update: recompiling the kernel with the correct processor type made the error
> > message go away. I can now use the NVidia drivers again. But the problem with
> > them remains: after one iteration through kdm, the virtual terminals (Alt-Ctl-F2,
> > etc.) no longer work.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> What do you mean "after one iteration through kdm".

I boot my system and kdm starts. I log in. Ctl-Alt-F2 works. If I log out and log
in again, Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work; I get a dead screen. Ctl-Alt-F7 brings the screen
back and revives the mouse.

I know the problem is related to kdm and to xdm, which lies underneath it. With a
different login manager such as gdm, it doesn't happen.

> Have you looked at
> the stuff
> in your kernel config that I suggested. The agp stuff in particular.
> Unless you
> have a supported chip set in there you should disable all of it. Also
> framebuffer
> support (which is in the console drivers section). It's what gives you
> the little
> penguin in the top left corner when you boot up? That screwed me up
> good.

Both AGP support and framebuffer support are disabled. That doesn't solve the
problem.

> My
> symptoms were I think similar in that from the kdm login screen any
> (Alt-Ctl-fx)
> or reboot or shutdown from there would hang my system and I would have
> to hit
> the reset switch. After removing framebuffer support in my kernel and
> unchecking
> the agp stuff that didn't apply to my system I was then able to do the
> above.
> Note: Even though I was able to do those things (reboot/shutdown) from
> the kdm
> login screen then, my screen is still black while it is happening. My
> only
> indication it's rebooting/shutting down is the disk activity light.

I get the kdm startup screen with the logo moving around. But the behavior is
similar. What happens on your system if you try to switch to a virtual terminal
after logging out (not rebooting) and logging in again?

> know, these
> nvidia drivers can be a real pain in the A. Sure would be nice if they
> would
> turn them loose.

Yes. Or at least fix the bugs.

Paul