creating an update CD
  • From: Cory Steers <cory.steers.gmu9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:00:29 -0500
Someone posted a question about how to make an update CD a while
back. I don't know if this is the "best" way to do this, but here's what I
did for my 7.0 distro:

1. ftp the rpms from /pub/suse/i386/update/7.0/* on ftp.suse.com (or a
matching directory on a mirror site). I made a file tree on my local
machine that matched it (i.e. /*/7.0/a1 /*/7.0/ap1 ... etc.).
2. burn a data CD of the local file tree. Didn't seem to matter exactly
what the root directory was etc. on the CD. Mine just starts with a root
folder/directory of 7.0

On the machine to be updated:
1. mount the cdrom (in my example it's mounted on /cdrom)
2. as root run Yast
3. select "choose/install packages"
4. select "install packages"
5. press enter to select a source and choose "directory"
6. enter in the directory (i.e. /cdrom/7.0)
7. From here you can move around the CD's file system from within this
section of Yast and update

Seems to be working really well, and now I can update all my SuSe
7.0 distros while only pulling the rpms from the net once. some issues I'd
like to still work out, and would appreciate your input on:

- while FTP-ing the files down I kept getting timed out bye the remote site,
so even with all of ncftp's capabilities this was a long mostly manual
process. Any other ideas for a more automated download would be great.
- along those same lines ... most of the directories have a specific rpm
followed by a more generic one that is a link to the specific. However,
once there were downloaded to my machine they were no longer links, but
copies of the original. This is really two problems because even if there
were still links at this point, I have to move the data to a windblows box
to burn the CD, so I doubt they'd remain links by the time the CD is
created. ??

<<Cory Steers.vcf>>