RE: [SLE] [OT] Athlon Processor
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:00:27 -0500
Hello, Guy.

You might want to take a quick look over at Toms Hardware at his recent
comparison of a whole slew of heatsinks
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010521/cooler-29.html. For an Athlon
1GHz, 56C was about the worst of his bunch, while 30C was the best. The
best was achieved with a solid copper heat sink and monster fan, which is
probably out of reach for most users. It is also likely that the guy who
built your system cut corners and didn't put good goop between the CPU and
heat sink. This stuff is the best (Arctic Silver II)
http://www.coolerguys.com/CPUCOOL/compound.htm. This goop can reduce
temperatures by about 6C.

You might want to get some extra case fans too to help extract the hot air
from your case. Bear in mind that the newer Athlons are rated to run up to
95C, although they won't last very long at that temperature, so 56C is not
exactly the end of the world, especially for a 1.333GHz. I was a bit
concerned when I built my wife's machine recently to find her 1.333GHz chip
running at 46C, and a friend of mine has his running at about 41C, but I was
comparing these to my Dual PIII-850, where the chips only run at 31C. Bear
in mind that those super fast chips do run hotter.

If you want to replace your heatsink, Thermaltake have a new Super-Orb
coming out soon with a copper core which promises good cooling at a
reasonable price. Copper, silver and gold are the best materials for a
heatsink, but silver and gold are a bit expensive, hence the silver goop I
mentioned above. Do NOT use thermal tape, it actually reduces heat transfer
between the CPU and heatsink.

Keeping systems cool is something of an art form, but airflow is the key.
Buy those extra case fans, but have some blowing in and some blowing out.
Intake should suck cooler air in at the bottom, and the exhaust should blow
hot air out from as close to the CPU as possible. Remember, hot air rises.

As for the overclocking, the chip does have a number stamped onto the
surface which would allow you to see what speed the chip is actually
supposed to be. If it has been overclocked, the vendor is a putz, since the
price of these things is so low, he's doing it for a very small amount of
extra cash. Your best bet is to get a tube of goop.

Bye for now,
Stuart.