Re: [SLE] NVIDIA drivers (again!) and unresolved symbols
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:54:02 -0400
Mark Hounschell wrote:

> How did you build your kernel. You know that in the top makefile /boot
> is commented
> out such that the make bzlilo or make zlilo command will put your new
> kernel in / and
> not /boot.
> Just fishing for a cause.

I took care of that quite a while ago. Just have to remember to do it again
each time I move to a new collection of kernel sources. That's messed me up a
couple of times.

> Also the agp stuff in your kernel is in char
> devices right
> below the ftape entry (if you are doing make xconfig). It's easily
> missed. It looks like _mmx_memcpy has somthing to do with pentium/mmx
> setting in .config file. Maybe try changing cpu type in your kernel.

That sounds promising. I wouldn't have thought to look in char devices. I'd
guess that I should change the processor type before fiddling with agp, since I
might take a performance hit for no good reason if I understate my machine.

> I have basically duplicated your problem simply by building a kernel
> after changing my cpu type to pentium mmx instead of athlon and then
> trying do load the NVdriver without rebuilding it. I get the same
> message
> about mmx_memcpy. It still points to, your not running the kernel you
> think
> you are. Did you do zlilo or bzlilo???

I do bzlilo.

I'll try the kernel change and keep you posted. I'm also moving my sound
stuff from /lib/modules/2.4.4./kernel/sound to /lib/modules/2.4.4/misc/sound.
That should avoid many headaches.

Paul