Re: [SLE] Win4Lin vs VMware
On Wednesday 30 May 2001 08:44 am, Patriiiiiiiiiick wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In the near future, I might need to use win2k at the same time as Linux. I
> was thinking of VMware to accomplish this task. Now I see that there is
> Win4Lin too... Errrrr... while I was writing this, I thought about an
> issue: I think that Win4Lin doesn't run win2k but win9x only.
>
> OK, except for that, have some of you compared those two products to run
> win9x? What is the result?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Patrick

Win4Lin requires some kernel mods (not cool, IMHO) and only runs Win95/98
(again, not cool, IMHO). It will run them at native processor speeds, which
*is* cool, IMHO! :-)

VMWare doesn't require kernel mods, and will run several different x86 based
OS's, including all versions of Windows, BeOS, Linux, and BSD. Probably some
others that I can't think of right off of the top of my head. It is also much
slower than Win4Lin is, running at roughly 1/2 of your native processor speed.

I've never used Win4Lin, as I couldn't get the kernel stuff to compile (this
was a long time ago, they are probably better now, so YMMV). I have used
VMWare, and it's VERY nice, again IMHO.

Good luck!
-Steven