Re: [SLE] Gnome 1.4 SuSE packages..still in fine form.
  • From: Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:26:24 -0500
Hi Curtis:

On Monday 28 May 2001 00:44, you wrote:
> NP :) Just wanted to make sure that I was understood. I don't want
> to make enemies unduely.

I don't get cross with people on the list nor would I be rude. My
real desire is to find out why some people have success with these
desktops and others have problems.

> The users on this list are very useful
> and an important resource for me. It is by far the best user grp
> I've found. I have even been able to help others, which is very
> gratifying for a new user.

Well I just got a note from Ben saying he got Gnome to work by
copying all the directories from his wife's machine to his! That
means that the RPM's or the order of the RPM installation is the
culprit. I really suspect the RPM's then. I wish there was a way to
know of a specific installation order. I am having some trouble with
KDE 2.1.1. I hope to get KDE 2.2 2Alpha in. It's suppose to be out
today.

For what it is worth KDE, rpm's should be installed in this order:

1) kdesupport.rpm first.
2) kdelibs.rpm next same way as before.
3) kdebase.rpm.

then everything else in any order. I am still suspect of this though.

Here is a *really* good tutorial on Linux/UNIX, The Rute Users
Tutorial:
http://rute.sourceforge.net/
I mention it since you say you are a newcomer to Linux.

--
Cheers,

Jonathan

< Previous Next >