Re: [SLE] How to undelete files! Please help!
  • From: dieter <dieter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:51:16 +0200 (CEST)

It should be possible to do this also with mc, at least if you have it
builtin.

from the man:

Currently the Midnight Commander is packaged with some
Virtual File Systems (VFS): the local file system, used
tar files; the undelfs, used to recover deleted files on
ext2 file systems ...

and further:

Undelete File System

On Linux systems, if you asked configure to use the ext2fs undelete
facilities, you will have the undelete file sys- tem available. Recovery
of deleted files is only avail- able on ext2 file systems. The undelete
file system is just an interface to the ext2fs library to: retrieve all of
the deleted files names on an ext2fs and provides and to extract the
selected files into a regular partition.

To use this file system, you have to chdir into the spe- cial file name
formed by the "/#undel" prefix and the file name where the actual file
system resides.

For example, to recover deleted files on the second parti- tion of the
first scsi disk on Linux, you would use the following path name:

/#undel:sda2

It may take a while for the undelfs to load the required information
before you start browsing files there.

Hope this helps,

--
dieter