Re: Block IP telnet
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 25 May 2001, patric illi wrote:

pi> Cheers !
pi>
pi> Very easy !
pi>
pi> Go to the /etc/passwd file and set the login bash to /bin/false
pi> for all these users you don't want to have telnet access !
pi>

Wouldn't it be better to block the connection itself at the machine via
/etc/hosts.deny rather then modify /etc/passwd for each user type, just a
simple
in.telnetd: ALL

would stop the connection from even connecting in the first place. Or if
it's a particular address range
in.telnetd: 192.168.0.0/24

or even a particular address
in.telnetd: 192.168.0.10

see 'man 8 hosts_access' for more information.

pi> cheers
pi>
pi> patric illi
pi>
pi>
pi>
pi> SK wrote:
pi>
pi> > Hi! Linux Friends
pi> >
pi> > I am setting my SAMBA server . How to deny samba user to access the telnet
pi> > session. Or how to block user IP address from accessing telnet into my Linux
pi> > Server.
pi> >
pi> > Best Regards,
pi> > SKLIM
pi> >
pi>

--
S.Toms - smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - www.mindspring.com/~smotrs
SuSE Linux v7.0+ - Kernel 2.2.18

YOW!! Everybody out of the GENETIC POOL!"