Weird error when restarting network script
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:38:08 -0500
Howdy,

I just set up a bunch of virtual IPs on two servers that are running Virtual Hosts. I did it with YaST under System Administration>Network>Base network. I manually put in the device as eth0:# where # is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 consecutively. I also has to use the "add another network" menu after #5. On one server this works perfect and nothing fails, but on the first one I did, I get the following:

fluorite:~ # /etc/init.d/network restart

Broadcast Message from root@fluorite
(/dev/pts/11) at 15:15 ...

Network is going down now!

Shutting down network device eth0 done
Setting up network device eth0 done
Setting up network device eth0:1 done
Setting up network device eth0:2 done
Setting up network device eth0:3 done
Setting up network device eth0:4 done
Setting up network device eth0:5
up: Host name lookup failure failed
Setting up network device eth0:6 failed
Setting up network device eth0:7 failed
Setting up network device eth0:8 failed
Setting up network device eth0:9 failed
fluorite:~ #

Does anyone know what's causing this? It knows it's own hostname for sure, and does have a gateway. /etc/init.d/route works fine.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com

  • No further messages