Re: [SLE] [OT] More info about Windows XP's new Activation scheme
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:09:31 +0200
There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Every copy protection scheme in
the world is still software, waiting to be stripped from the code. If history
is anything to go by, I'd say there'll be pirated copies on the internet
about a month before (sic!) MS releases the products

Regards
Anders

On Friday 25 May 2001 21:45, Steven Hatfield wrote:
> Yes! This has been what I've been waiting for... a foolproof
> copyright/activation system. The crackers will have a VERY hard time
> breaking this.. it's not simply a "here's the key" deal!
>
> Now, when people realize that they actually have to PAY for their OS,
> they'll start looking for "free" alternatives... I bet you that we will see
> a HUGE insurgance of newbies maybe 1 year after WinXP comes out.
>
> Why one year? Because it'll be at that point that people start feeling
> really "left behind" by windows.. .Microsoft isn't going to release a lot
> of the new software that will work on anything other than WinXP.. so
> they'll feel very left behind and they will be forced to either pay up or
> look somewhere else.
>
> Mark my words -- look for a TON of new users between Oct 25, 2001 and Dec
> 31, 2002... a TON.
>
> Laters all,
> Steven

< Previous Next >