Re: [SLE] lilo password
On 25 May 2001, at 10:47, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> At 11:35 AM 5/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Can I put password on lilo for my linux kernel and let it without password
> >for windows? I dont want people booting into linux by mistake but I do
> >want them booting into windows. Any ideas on how to do this.
> >Raul
>
> I think it's password = foo_bar in /etc/lilo.conf. Note that it's stored in plain text.
>
> man lilo.conf

Just as a reminder, ext2 filesystems (not sure about reiser etc) are
readable from windows. I have a w2k utility which quite happily
reads the contents of files on a linux partition. I believe writing is
possible but I didn't have the nerve to try it! It is nearly usable from
me/98 too AFAICR.
I know that there is no such thing as a secure system but having
windows on a linux box makes the linux box less secure. I am
interested in a proper crypto filesystem but this is another on the
long list of things to find out more about, in particular I would like a
journalling crypto FS (I can dream), so I may eventually have to
learn enough to to 'merge' journalling and tcfs but I'm a long way off
and crypto is easily compromised....

regards,
Bill