Re: [SLE] crypting file system
On Friday 25 May 2001 11:51 am, Christian Klippel wrote:
> hi all,
>
> does anyone know if there is a crypting file system available for linux ?
> i know that this feature was available on scsi-controllers ( i have one
> here, but only for isa-bus..;( ). the controller worked in a way that it
> asks for the passphrase at boot time, and then does the en/decryption on
> the fly (i.e. the whole disk is encrypted "blockwise", not only the files)
> i think i remeber that i have seen something like this about one year ago
> as a "driver" for linux, but im not sure. performance is not the real
> point, security counts for my kind of application of that.....
>
> so, if anyone has infos on that, i would be glad to know......
>
> greets,
>
> chris

The only things that I've been able to come up with is ppdd and BestCrypt.
PPDD is an open source project, but seems to be very behind in the kernels
(no 2.4 yet available). BestCrypt offers the source code, but is a "for pay"
product, and what I'm using now. They have a FAQ section on how to set it up
so that user's home directories are encrypted and they are asked for their
passphrase at boot up, etc.

Check out BestCrypt at http://www.jetico.com

-Steven