Re: [SLE] Linux on dual Intel Xenon systems
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:02:13 -0700
Hello,
What kind of MB, RAM and HDs are in your dual PII/450 system.
Evidently, something, possibly HD speed, is bottlenecking your system
performance. If you have IDE HD did you try to adjust its performance with
hdparm?
I'm running dual PII/400 system on ASUS P2B-DS MB with all SCSI WD LVD 80
MB/sec U/2 HDs, 512 MB SDRAM for over three years 24x7 without any sign of
trouble.
It takes me about four and a half minutes to compile 2.2.4 kernel on this
system. Although, it has an older 100 MHz FSB.
I assume that the speed of kernel compilation has not much to do with the
speed of the processors. Since CPU frequency is much greater than the
frequency of PCI bus, CPU is idling most of the time. So, it has nothing to do
with Pentium or Athlon processor choice in general.
Regards.
Alex