Re: [SLE] Shellwonders
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:48:50 -0500
At 12:26 AM 5/25/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Here's a two in one for shellfreaks:
>
>Two thing I wondered but never dared to ask :
>1. How come there are different histories for each terminal you work on and
>wheer are they kept ?

The first is ~/.bash_history , but I wish I knew where the secondary ones are.

>2. Who knows a concise write up on the exact files that are sourced when a
>login occurs and what sequence ?

.bashrc for bash, .cshrc for csh (and maybe tcsh?) and sometimes others like .profile .aliases and some X settings come from .xinitrc and .Xresources

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com