Re: [SLE] Kde 2.1.1
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 04:22:41 +0200
On Thursday 24 May 2001 03:36, Brian Marr wrote:
> Suse 7.1 kernel 2.4.3 XF86 4.0.3 kde 2.1.1
>
> Due to some mistakes I have had to reinstall kde 2.1.1 a couple of
> times. This time I have booted into Windowmaker without any problems.
> The kde apps work, along with Konqueror, Netscape and koffice. Star
> Office is yet to work.
>
> However my attempts to start kde have failed
> startkde results in -cannot open DISPLAY

When you run startkde, X should already be running. Hence the error. It is
usually run from ~/.xinitrc or similar
What you should do is

export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde

if it isn't already set, that is. then

startx

To make this permanent, edit rc.config and set DEFAULT_WM="kde" and run
SuSEconfig
Then you can start with startx, and WINDOWMANAGER will be set at bootup.

> I have tried to use
> xhost + localhost
>
> But this also results in -cannot open DISPLAY
>
> I am familiar with the $DISPLAY variable but do not
> know how to set it. Is there a command for viewing all variables ?

Just type set

> Brian Marr

Regards
Anders