Re: [SLE] boot impossibility
  • From: "Purple Shirt" <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:38:13

From: Rafael Herrera <raffo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Purple Shirt <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: SuSE <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] boot impossibility
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:08:40 -0400

Purple Shirt wrote:

> If one person had SuSE 7.1 installed and only the 2.4 kernel present on the
> hard drive then this person could not boot into SuSE if the MBR was not
> available (Linux on secondary drive and no primary drive present) and if the
> person had no LILO on floppy.
>
> If you used the bootdisk floppy or CD to boot and then chose "boot hard
> disk" the 2.4 kernel on the harddrive would not be booted. This was due to
> lack of being able to provide the location of the kernel image
> /boot/vmlinuz_24.
>
> Has this ever been fixed? This is a flaw in yast. Yast only asks for the
> partition but not the image itself? What if you got 10 different images you
> might want to boot? One should be able to supply this data.

There is no flaw. By using the boot floppy or CD you are booting the
kernel image of that disk. The message "boot hard disk" means continuing
the boot process with the information available in the partition you
specify.

Ok I may be wrong. What information is this the partition keeps? I probably have a lack of knowledge but how come if I go through this process it boots a 2.2.18 kernel even though there is none residing on that partition. Where does it take that kernel from? Does it use the from from the floppy and then use its image to boot it as partition kernel?

If you want to boot other images you have to setup a boot manager in
your primary disk. You could configure your system to boot from the
secondary drive (if your BIOS allows it) and configure lilo to boot all
your available OSs. See the suse manual, it's explained there.
--
Rafael