Re: [SLE] Editor's Note: RIP: Linux on the Desktop
I agree completely, not only would the developers mourn if the other side
faded away, but alot of end-user would be missing out. The "big thing" for
me as a end-user and a newbie of just under a year is all the "CHOICE".
Something that is at the heart and soul of Linux and the #1 fear of M$.
Having one of the LInux mainstays flounder would mean everyone would lose out.
I know it's essential and enevitable that if Linux is to gain widespread
acceptance that they will have to court wall street and the market. I just
don't want to see a lot of hard and sound work become cannon fodder for th
bears and the bulls. I've been involved with the sciences more years than I
care to count. Programmers are not that different from the physicist or the
biologist - they are perfectionist and very protective about their work and
reputations. Quibbling is a part of the game. But, let the marketers get a
hold of it and watch all the hype and marketing angles run amuk. Screw em!
As a very enthusiastic end-user all I can say is Just Do What You Do Best and
let the others scratch their heads.

Thank you for your efforts and work in developing this OS and for giving me a
tool I find both enjoyable and stimulating.

Cheers and keep kicking ass, Curtis Rey

On Tuesday 22 May 2001 10:38 pm, Kevin Breit wrote:

< Previous Next >