Where's the best place to put a command that needs to be run at boot time?
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:43:53 -0500
Howdy,

All of you are going to say " /etc/rc.d/boot.local" but I'm wondering, is that really true?

The reason is, I want to run ntpdate at bootup, but boot.local seems to happen very early on, before switiching to any runlevel. As I understand it, you have to be at runlevel 2 (or 3, I forget) before you have a network connection. So ntpdate wouldn't work before then.

Or am I wrong? When does boot.local get run?

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com

< Previous Next >