RE: [SLE] Which nic is which?
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:36:42 -0500
Hello, Jim.

To fix this, you'll need to get out your screwdriver.

You mentioned the 6byte code in your post. That code is the MAC address you
may have heard talk of. This code is unique to each card, and is in HEX
format. I have a 3COM 3C900B here with a HW address of 00-50-DA-BA-EC-A6.
The first three numbers are a manufacturer's code. Many manufacturers have
more than one code. The last three numbers make the card unique.

This number is printed prominently on the card itself. Write down the
numbers you see on screen, then whip out the cards and look for those
numbers. Then put the cards back into the machine, keeping an eye on which
card is in which slot. This way, you'll know which cable goes where once
you configure your interfaces.

On another note, it used to be the case that when you had multiple identical
network cards in a box, the driver would load the cards in the order of
their HW addresses. Thus, the card with the lowest number would be eth0,
the next number up would be eth1 etc.

I used to hate building dual NIC machines, because I would always forget to
right down the MAC address before screwing the lid on. Then I would have to
open it up, read the numbers and then put the lid back on again. It is also
a good idea to write the MAC addresses onto labels and stick them to the
rear plate of the NIC. Then you'll always be able to tell them apart.

Hope this helped,
Stuart.