Re: [SLE] /tmp getting very big
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 10:23:03 -0400
Tara L Andrews wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:30:19AM -0000, Dallam Wych wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Concerning tmpwatch...does it work well? if so, where is it available?
>
> It works quite well. It's in package tmpwatch, though for some
> unfathomable reason SuSE has renamed it "temp-watch". It even has a
> man page that SuSE hasn't included in its RPM package, but is
> available at http://www.rt.com/man/tmpwatch.8.html if you need it.

I've got SuSE 7.1 and the Yast1 package manager couldn't locate anything
with a name like that. I tried searching on both tempwatch and tmpwatch
and came up only with some Italian man pages <s>. Nothing like that in
the index of all packages, either. So where is it?

There are also a few settings in /etc/rc.config for cleaning out temp
directories:

#
# cron.daily can check for old files in tmp-dirs. It will delete all files
# not accessed for more than MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP. If MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP is not set

# or set to 0, this feature will be disabled.
#
MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP="14"

# You can specify in TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR, which directories have to be
# searched for old files, to be deleted.
#
TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR="/tmp /var/tmp"

#
# In OWNER_TO_KEEP_IN_TMP, you can specify, whoms file shall not be
deleted.
#
OWNER_TO_KEEP_IN_TMP=""

However, these settings haven't worked for me; I still have a bunch of old
files sitting around in /tmp that should have been deleted.

Paul