Re: [SLE] Still no telnet. Help!
  • From: Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 10:55:08 +0200
Peter D Bethke wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Okay, I can can confirm that inetd is running, using /sbin/init.d/inetd
> start.
>
> Looking in the /etc/inetd.conf file, I see the line:
>
> telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd
>
> Uncommented. Should this not be running now? I cannot connect from a local
> machine, nor can I successfully execute telnet localhost. Or ftp localhost.
> What other thing could possibly be going wrong.
>
> I really need some guidance!

Hi Peter,

OK, i guess /usr/sbin/in.telnetd ("which in.telnetd" / "locate
in.telnetd") exists.

Have anothher look into /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny. If these
files are active, telnet access (sendmail, ftp, popper ... all the like)
is blockes by that.

My hosts.allow looks like this:

root@marvin:/data1 > cat /etc/hosts.allow
# See tcpd(8) and hosts_access(5) for a description.

#(ALL EXCEPT in.fingerd) EXCEPT in.identd : ALL : (safe_finger -l @%h
2>&1| \
# /bin/mail -s "%d-%h %u" root) &

in.ftpd: LOCAL, .forty.two
in.telnetd: LOCAL, .forty.two
rplayd: LOCAL, .forty.two
in.rshd: LOCAL, .forty.two
in.talkd: LOCAL, .forty.two
popper: LOCAL, .forty.two
sendmail: LOCAL, .forty.two
rpc.nfsd: LOCAL, .forty.two
portmap: LOCAL, .forty.two
rpcportmap: LOCAL, .forty.two
rpc.knfsd: LOCAL, .forty.two
rpc.mountd: LOCAL, .forty.two
rpc.kmountd: LOCAL, .forty.two
nfsd: LOCAL, .forty.two
nfs: LOCAL, .forty.two
showmount: LOCAL, .forty.two
kshowmount: LOCAL, .forty.two

sshd: LOCAL, .forty.two

# only for testing: uncomment the folwing line
#ALL:ALL

http-rman: LOCAL .forty.two
root@marvin:/data1 >

hosts.deny is one line like

ALL:ALL

For probably the same reason I have problems with NFS: There is at least
one "service" I am not catching and it fails due to access rules.

HIH

Juergen

--
Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@xxxxxx| -o)/ / (_)__ __ ____ __