Re: [SLE] OT: Capturing output for MP3's
  • From: Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 09:23:45 +0200
"Timothy R.Butler" wrote:

> Hi Oscar,
> > Try an mp3 encoder called 'gogo'. It's very fast!
>
> Thanks! That works really well - it compressed a 40 meg wave file into a
> 4.4 meg MP3. And, it only took 72 seconds to do such!
> However, I'm still curious what to do with the RealMedia files I have (more
> specifically one RealVideo file and a few RealAudio files) that I would like
> to take the audio track from, and save them as MP3's.
>
> I am assuming the best option is to save them as a wave file, and
> then convert them to MP3's, but that brings another question... Can anyone
> suggest a good wave recorder for Linux that could record line-out in a high
> quality (near-CD quality, similar to 96 Kbps or 128 kbps MP3's)) format?

There is gramofile. (Comes with SuSE). Generaly thought to capture old
vinyl records. Works -a bit crude, non graphic- from an xterm.

You need to set the recording source by hand, in KDE you need to bring
up the mixer (kmix), point to the line-out lever, right click and select
record source.

I havn't tried to record from line out yet, but the option seems to
exist. There is another lever for record in (gain). You need to make use
of that one too.

Juergen

--
Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@xxxxxx| -o)/ / (_)__ __ ____ __