[Fwd: [SLE] Adding swap]
  • From: Ali BASEL <alib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:17:34 +0300
I found this from somewhere that I don't remember now. If you search from
www.google.com you can find also.

How Do I Add Temporary Swap Space?

In addition to a swap partition, Linux can also use a swap file. Some
programs, like g++, can use huge amounts of virtual memory, requiring
the temporary creation of extra space. To install an extra 64 MB of
swap space, for example, use the following shell commands:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1024 count=65535
# mkswap /swap
# swapon /swap

The count= argument to dd determines how big the swap file will be. In
this example the swap file's name is /swap, but the name and location
are, generally, arbitrary, depending only on the file system's
available space and your having write permissions in the directory.

When you don't need the swap space any more, remove it with the
following statements:

# swapoff /swap
# rm /swap