RE: [SLE] Unreal Tournament @ Voodoo3
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:23:12 -0500
Hello, Ziga.

Sorry about that. I don't have time to regurgitate an entire website to
you, but the basics are thus:

Mesa is a long standing software implementation of OpenGL, the standard
interface for 3D graphics on many different platforms. This was used to
provide OpenGL capabilities for hardware that didn't have a native driver
that supported it. Since it runs in software, it is slower than hardware
based versions, i.e. Voodoo cards. Many 3D applications link to it by
default in the Linux world, so what many people do is change the name of the
file, and then create a symbolic link (like a shortcut in Windows but a bit
different) of the same name that points to the hardware driver. This
provides a seamless interface for applications to access the driver.

Unfortunately, Mesa does not play well with hardware drivers, hence the need
to remove it. Since the Voodoo card uses Glide and not OpenGL, this may not
be an issue, but it is worth checking out.

Look here for all the info you ever needed on Mesa, and more besides.
http://www.mesa3d.org/

If you are as new to this as you say, this does come under intermediate
topics, so don't worry too much about this. Your time would be better spent
learning more of the fundamentals. Linux does have a steep learning curve,
but so does Windows if you've never used it before, and who knew what to do
the first time they saw a DOS prompt ? Stick with it. This Linux stuff is
very clever.

No doubt I will be corrected by someone else if any of this is wrong.

Bye for now,
Stuart.