Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 01:46:58 -0700
* Yuri K (koroby398@xxxxxxxxx) [010513 22:33]:
->
->As for Reiser FS, talk to Oyracle people: they lost a lot of data on
->RFS. Try XFS, it's sweet. My point was: instead of bringing in the
->Russian Death Squad to waste resources on RFS, they could finally
->get a nice and finally functional e-mail program. if you want to win
->this war, drop this snobbish MUA/MTA lingo - it doesn't help to bring
->attractive and elegant ladies into Open Source. it's called e-mail
->program for a normal person. it was an average person who made
->automobile ubiquitous, not Herren Daimler und Benz or Mr Ford and
->Dodge brothers.
->

yeah, I am not to convinced that ReiserFS is the end all be all. I do
believe that once XFS is past the 1.0 stage that it could be the one to
go with..IBM does a really good job with JFS though. It's too soon to
tell. Your right about the email...I have said over and over again that
most email clients under Linux/Unix blow badly as far as the end user is
concerned. It's taking longer to get there, because even though Linux
has 3.8% of the desktop and Mac has 1.9% (latest study that was on CNN
yesterday)..ISV's like Qualcomm don't seem to get it that they could
make money from their software under Linux. I know 100's of people who
would kill to have Eudora for X..but there is still a free beer
mentality in the OSS community..so they won't port the software because
they figure it won't sell..even though it would be a simple port of the
OSX version to XFree..no problem.

You should check out Evolution..it's an Outlook 2000 clone and it has
extreme promise. I personally will stick with Mutt, Fetchmail and
Postfix. I guess since it's what I do for a living, I can be the doctor
of my own computer world and set up my firewalls, MTA's and other such
things ;)

Have fun....
--
Ben Rosenberg