RE: [SLE] Cable Internet Problems
  • From: "David Bottrill" <david.bottrill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:00:57 +0100
Hi Diane

>I just installed Suse 7.1 and I can't get my cable modem to work with it.
It is recognizing the >Ethernet card and dhcp is loading correctly at start
up but for some unknown reason I am not
>able to communicate with my provider. I am in the US using the @home
service. If anyone has any >ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
>Diane

Have you used a different PC on your cable modem in the past? with my cable
service in the UK the Cable Modem (3COM) remembered the MAC address of the
first PC I attached to it, thereafter it refused to talk to another ethernet
card, without overiding that cards MAC address. I made a not of the MAC
address of the first PC I attached and now I use a Linksys router which you
can program the MAC addresss. You should be able to overide the MAC address
in Linux, there should be far more experienced users on this list who can
advise.

David Bottrill