Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 12:15:06 -0700
Well, this is a mentality that a lot of Mac users will just have to get
over if they are going to MacOSX. It's Unix..full blown...and it's a
whole new ballgame now as my wife is finding out. Granted there are
programs such as Eudora, Outlook Express and Powermail for OSX which
will fit your bill as far as MUA's are concerned, but you fail to
realize that Evolution and Aethera from theKompany are soon to be
completed and will do what you want as well. If you don't want to use
Linux as a desktop..fine but please don't tell me that it's 1/2 baked or
whatever. After you have gone to OSX and see how it operates..then talk
about it. It sounds like the same ole " I haven't given it a shot since
version blah, blah, blah..so it sucks." That's just unacceptable and
it's a weak arguement to make. It's all in what you want.

BTW..dragging a file such as a jpg to an app such as Photoshop and
having it auto open as it does in MacOS 9.1 and below doesn't
work..there are a whole slew of things that Mac users are going to get
hit in the face with when they go to OSX ..I see it daily with my wife
grumbling about it..yet she loves OSX it's just something different and
she will get use to it as she says. I will say this..if I drag a text
file to my printer icon in KDE2..hot damn it prints..and if I drag a
file to an app icon .. it opens it in the app. Guess Apples programmers
didn't take that code from the OSS community yet for their new 1/2 open
1/2 closed OS. ;)

BTW..just so you know. I think OSX rocks. I am planning to get a G4 as
my desktop soon. Also, the most elegant desktop every created in my
humble (yeah right ;) opinion was NeXT..it was awesome and Apple would
have done well to just update that and make it OSX. It was 10X the
desktop that OSX 9.X and below were..or any Windows OS. It was a
pleasure to use..and I did so on my P5-100 for about 2.5 years...which
was dualbooted with OS/2..another very nice desktop that shouldn't have
died.

->
->> you are happy with this, that's good for you, but not for me. I need
->> to grab a thing , drag it, drop and flip it over ... and be done with
->> it. I don't have time for dissertations in man format on how to do
->> simple things.
->
-> Then try KDE on for size. It doesn't require any of that.
->

--
Ben Rosenberg
mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx