Fwd: Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
  • From: Faessen Jean-Paul <faessen.godin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 16:29:31 +0200

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:11:22
From: "Purple Shirt" <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>From: Curtis Rey <crrey@xxxxxxxx>
>To: Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Yuri K
><koroby398@xxxxxxxxx>
>CC: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
>Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 03:38:21 -0500
>
>As a newbie/Linux novice I can agree with the point about not wanting to
>deal
>with "broken apps and half baked stuff". I already have a degree in health
>care and really don't relish returning to school to learn how to setup and
>run my OS.
>I chose Linux because a) It gets me away from M$ (don't get me started on
>XP/.NET/Hailstorm) and b) because I learn something about the thing I spend
>most of my time with-the computer. Sure, I would like to learn
>programming.
>But I don't want to do so to make it my profession.
>It's just like medicine. You teach your patient about health care and
>taking
>care of themselves. However, you don't expect then to mix there own IV
>solutions or run their own X-ray machine. It's similar with designing an
>OS
>that is to be used by the general public.
>Open Source is wonderful because the makers can design a system to meet
>their
>desires. But, if you want the general public to get behind it and
>support/use
>it you'll have to make function on their level. Linux is getting close to
>this and still gets its geek underpinnigs (geek is not to be taken as
>derogatory).
>It will become widely accepted when the common user doesn't have to
>consider
>taking night classes in comp sci in order to set up a firewall.

See this is where I think the newbies get it wrong. I understand your
argument about how one person doesn't have to be a MD to perform small task
healthcare on yourself.

But here is the problem. Does Linux fit this bill? Yeah in Windows you can
push and click your way through things but in Linux the console and commands
in my mind are unavoidable. Plus they are the most powerful enttiies which
come with a Unix OS. And you mentioned a person shouldn't have to know how
to work an IV. I consider a firewall a highly sophisticated instrument and I
do not think it is the duty of the programming community to spend ten years
on the development of a utility til they finally managed to make it usable
by every person out there. Firewalls I think belong in the domain of the
more educated computer professionals. Now if SuSE thinks its their job to
break this barrier then go ahead but I don't believe in this. I doubt a
person would get much support from any government to run a business which
teaches 'PlugnPlay IVs' to the general public. I support the fact to improve
things but I am choosy about what should be improved simply because of the
reward we get for the investment done.

mk

sorry,friend,but I don't agree with you.
The common user has the right to have a good firewall which is easy to
setup.That's why porting Zone Alarm is not a bad idea.
The common fe.Pandora-user doesn't need a professional setup.
Of course,a firm does need a pro-setup and Linux has to provide this.
But the user must have the choice.

It is not only the right of pofessional users to use Linux.
linux is so good,it has to be accessable to everybody.
Linux really has to leave the field of 'if you don't know,use Windows'.
Linux will only beat Windows when it is as easy and versatile as Windows.

About the Mac,it's Mac's own fault they will die in the future.The price they
ask for their hardware is not anymore of this time.
A Mac is damned expensive and is also depassed after 1 week.
It's good quality,yes,but so is an Intel,or even better AMD,based system.

CU;

Jean-Paul Faessen