Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea
  • From: "Purple Shirt" <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:47:03

From: tabanna <tabanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 04:57:22 +0000

> See I grew up in East Germany and back then you could trust people.

. . . too young to realize : back_stabbing life , when all's
supervised by STASI Secret Police, and Free_Speech a distant dream

Great, people have been giving me the good ole rant on the Soviet block and STASI on this comment. This most likely comes from people who never lived in the Eastern block but have gotten their knowledge of the situation from the Western press. If there is something to say about history its that you shouldn't trust a historian or journalist who doesn't live in the environment.

Besides you left out an important part of my comment. I said we had corrupt governments and dictators but you could count on this fact.

What does this mean? There was no problem. There was free speech you just had to know your system on where to use free speech and where not to. It's no different today. If you post decss on the net on a website you are not allowed free speech but if you keep it in the community environment away from the larger attack you can do whatever you feel like. It's the same way living in the Eastern block worked. If you went on the street and tried to demonstrate for some cause not supported by the government you were bound to get problems. If you kept it within your charter of people you were free as you wish.

There is no difference between the CIA and the KGB and the STASI. I always chuggle at events like "Berlin Wall shooter receives five years of jail", "FBI agent Hansen under arrest for double being double agent".

It's always funny how the local government and press at the time of the event denounces the other government form and ideology. If the US has a double agent and they get a trial (of a Russian kind) and then executed its an outrage but if a US guy runs over to the Russians and does a bit of an information exchange its despicable and they also get an execution but it costs a lot more to tax payers because its not done with a rifle but "humanely" in a chair. Damn those Russian barbars. The death of the Eastern block was the same way. One side won and suddenly we had charges against every tiny soldier pop up for treason and humanity. But its normal in the unnormal human society.

Imagine the Eastern block would have won over the Western block. You could have seen the same phenomenon in reverse. We would have had trials against leaders of the West German government the same way they happened against their Eastern comrades.

And your free speech comment its worthless. Have you looked at the situation in the Eastern block over the last ten years??? It's miserable. The East Germans 'hate' their West Germans. Their is unrest in their minds because they feel cheated by the promises made. Once again it was false indications which sickens people's hearts. Hence we got an overwhelming Nazi youth fest over there now because its all people can fall back on without a job and future. And Russia, this country is worse off than anybody. They got nothing and you'd probably get shot for saying something as the above. It's like saying "well you got no food but at least you got free speech"

I love free speech but it certainely doesn't receive priority over the needs a person has such as food and hope for a better future. despite everybody notices how Russia starts to envelop itself back into a more government controlled country. Most people fear this and maybe it is to be feared but its the only way rampant crime structure can be fought.

The mistakes done 12 years ago are revisited today with China. The USA has no clue about the workings of the Chinese ideology of x(fill in numbers here) billion people. You cannot turn a communist country into a Western civilization simply because the US wants it to happen. Look at Yugoslavia. Ten years of civil war and probably 50 more to come. Imagine China reversed on its harsh stand. We would have a third world war. Do you think billions of people have all the same mind and ideas? If they get set loose to do "free speech" next week we will have war because everybody wants to do their own thing and there is no controlling body. The country needs slow change instead of rampant turnover. And everybody fears about Taiwan. I do too but I don't hear too much moaning from HongKong and how its businesses died after the turnover to China a few years back. It seems capitalism works under communism so what is the problem? I think mogul Murdoch said something like to keep hands of the Chinese political system and simply concentrate on trade to help the people. Everything else will just interrupt trade and worsen the situation. I believe he is right. China and Taiwan relations are so intertwined they risk everything for a little bit of political play.

mk