weird keyboard/network interaction
  • From: John Grant <jmgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:00:25 -0700

Here's a weird one..

I have an old 6.1 system that I wanted to upgrade to 7.1. The system
has two hard drives so I figured that the path of least resistance would
be to take one of them, reformat it, and install 7.1 on that one. The
graphical install kept hanging for some reason (82% into the "detecting
hardware" bit) but yast1 had no problems. I installed the 2.4 kernel
and rebooted to the "new" drive.

So far, so good. Only now I have a problem where they keyboard gets
into a "control-lock" mode. IOW, if you hit "r", you get ctrl-r
instead.. just like a caps-lock, only instead of uppercase I get control
characters. This mode stays in effect until I hit the Windows key,
whereupon the keyboard reverts to normal characters. What seems to
trigger this is network activity on the (Winbond 89C940) ethernet card.
[Needless to say, this makes it really annoying to do any remote admin
on this box. :) ]

This happens under both the 2.2 and the 2.4 kernel on the 7.1 discs,
but if I reboot off the other drive and the old 2.2 kernel from 6.1
everything is fine.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

  • No further messages