From: Paul Abrahams [mailto:abrahams@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 12:13 PM
To: SuSE listserve
Subject: Re: [SLE] [OT] Rebuilt computer just beeps

Thanks to all for the pointers to the beep codes. Alas, it didn't help;
it's
an Award bios and a no-name motherboard. And none of the descriptions of
beep
codes mention continual, regular beeping; they all describe groups of beeps
or
sequences of up to 11 single beeps. This guy beeps until I shut him off.

The motherboard has slots for both DIMMs and SIMMs. I've tried using a
128MB
DIMM from another computer but couldn't seem to get it to seat properly.
(The
original 32MB DIMM I was trying is probably bad, since the other [working]
computer didn't recognize it.)

I'm thinking of trying to pick up a pair of SIMMs (which is what was there
when
I last used the board), but I don't want to waste my money on SIMMs for a
board
that wouldn't run anyway. So perhaps I should turn the question around: if
you
start up a motherboard with no memory, is it likely to emit continual
regular
beeps?

Paul