Printer Woes Continue
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 18:01:06 -0500
First, I would like to thank all those who have tried to help me with my ongoing printer problem.

Second, is there anyone at SuSE who can step me through debugging my printer problem? Once again, here are the symptoms:

- I cannot print from the command line (lpr <filename>), or from programs.
- When I try to print, I get a mail message stating:
jim@yoda:~ > mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93. Type ? for help. "/var/mail/jim": 1 message 1 new
>N 1 jim@yoda Mon May 7 17:56 14/485 "apsfilter: printer fault during job reply_of"
&

- When, as root, I cat a file to /dev/lp0, the file prints.
- When I try to print a file, the light on my HP 4L flashes once before the print fails.

This is driving me crazy. The printer was working after upgrading from 6.3 to 7.1. It stopped working around the time I did an auto-update from Yast 2.

This is very important to me as I have lost my job and I need to generate resumes.

Thanks in advance,
--
Jim Sabatke
SuSE 7.1 Linux

Full many a gem of purest ray serene, The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear; Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste its sweetness on the desert air. --Thomas Gray