From: Paul Abrahams [mailto:abrahams@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 11:22 AM
To: SuSE listserve
Subject: Re: [SLE] [OT] Microsoft maldesign and drive letters

Stuart Powell wrote:

> Hello, Paul.
>
> Actually, Windows 2000 allows you to do this, to a degree. If you add a
new
> hard drive to a system, when you partition it out, you can select any
drive
> letter you like (NT also allows this), or you can tell the system to mount
> it to a directory under a different drive.

I didn't know that. If you create several partitions, can you control all
the
letters independently? Can you change them later? And is the ability to
mount to a directory as flexible as the Linux approach to mounting?

> As far as I know, you can only
> do this with hard drives, though, not removable media. However, you can
> assign a different drive letter to a removable media drive.

I can live with that, as I have under Win98. References to files on
mountable
media are exceedingly rare.

> Credit where it is due, MS have addressed this issue at long last.

But it still hasn't percolated through to the consumer-level systems such as
Windows ME, I gather. I wonder if WinXP will have it.

> I went
> off drive letters a long time ago when my local drives now run up as far
as
> I: on my W2K box. What with multiple hard drives, CDs, DVD, CD Burner,
> smart media adapter etc, it starts to get a bit silly after a while.

Drive letters are silly anyway. Look at that ridiculous B drive, for the
second floppy!!!!

> And, if you're interested, MS has also done a half-brained attempt at
> symbolic links at last, too. Unfortunately, it only happens on RIS
volumes
> (Remote Installation Service) and is something the system does
automatically
> to save space on said volume. User volumes still do not have this
> capability.

And of course that's where they're most needed. Shortcuts also provide a
feeble version of symlinks.

Paul