Re: [SLE] Need a hardware guru(compaq) OT
  • From: Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 09:45:05 +0200
"Bryan S. Tyson" wrote:

> On Wed, 02 May 2001, David wrote:
>
> > Pressing F10 causes the Compaq BIOS to boot a NON DOS partition positioned
> > in my experience as the first partition on the Hard Disc. If you delete the
> > partition, you lose the ability to re-configure your BIOS. The Compaq
> > partiton, last time I looked was a clobbered DOS / WIN3.1 concoction,
> > probably Win95 now or mayne Compaq have now done their own thing and blown
> > M$ out. You should be able to download images of the install discs
> > to reinstate this partition, I would download these before you trash
> > your disc
>
> Why in the world do they want to do this? I don't see at all how such
> a proprietary setup makes their computers any "better." Does anyone
> know why they do this? Why can't they just have a normal setup? Remind
> me never to buy a Compaq!

You do not need to worry anymore. In these days they learned *that*
lesson.
This "service partition" is a pain in the butt. It appeared in some
486's, the I models still had a ROM based setup, the following XE models
hat this click and sh*t setup. It was fetured on some pentium series as
well.

Juergen
--
Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@xxxxxx| -o)/ / (_)__ __ ____ __