Re: [SLE] Wish list for SuSE 7.2 (what I see in Mandrake 8.0)
  • From: Volker Kuhlmann <kuhlmav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 19:11:36 +1200 (NZST)
> > > Add a vv dictation integrated into the KDE desktop for 7.2????
> >
> > Err, no. This one I can't check. Sorry.
>
> What is 'vv dictation' ?

Via Voice Dictation, the only speach recognition software for linux,
from IBM. Compared with its big competitor in the blows world, Dragon
Naturally Speaking, the atter is a lot more expensive and its resource
suck-factor is exorbitant. Don't even bother believing Dragon that what
they state as minimum hardware spec will actually work.

Interestingly, Mandrake did a deal with IBM and licenced vv dictation
for their professional (or whatever they call it) version of their
distribution. To me, the cost of the expensive Mandrake is about
equivalent to the cost of SuSE professional, i.e. reasonably good,
which is why I might buy Mandrake just to get the vv license. Also,
Mandrake has licensed a UK and German version of vv from IBM, which are
not yet for sale by IBM. If SuSE did something similar, I wouldn't have
to support the competition at all... but I realize that that might be
talking big money for SuSE and therefore wouldn't be worhtwhile for SuSE,
esp considering the probably limited interest.

Volker