RE: [SLE] Fwd: Re: [SLE] [OT] Legal Issues Type Question
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:15:14 -0500
I think you'll find that Simply are not alone. This is a common OEM deal,
and it is only recently (last 12months-ish) that the big boys such as Dell
and Compaq have managed to break away from this restrictive policy. Can
your friend at Simply find out what the Draconian penalty would be if Simply
sold a machine without an MS OS ?

This whole thread has merely increased my curiosity for these matters.

Also, someone mentioned in a previous post that corporations exist to make
money. I can't argue with that. However, attempting to acquire >99% of the
world's wealth through dodgy licencing deals seems somewhat underhanded.
And how many pirate copies of MS software would be out there if they only
cost $/£20 each ? If W2K cost so much less, the margins for the pirates
diminish, and MS could probably make the same amount of money by selling a
greater volume of units worldwide instead of relying on high margins which
penalise those countries where the populous *is* inclined to buy its
software legitimately (US/UK/DE etc).

There have also been complaints about the price of SuSE recently. $70 seems
to be getting a bit steep. But look at what you get. A top notch OS with
the functionality of *all* the MS OSes (home/game/business/server) and more
besides (firewall/router/security etc), and that can emulate Novell and Mac
servers too. You get 7 CDs and a DVD choc full of games, tools and business
apps, with a reliable source for updates and patches. You also get a major
array of manuals, which is more than can be said for the MS OSes. Their
installation guide is nothing more than a pamphlet these days. And here's
the kicker; that $70 media kit can be passed from one person to the next
until it is installed worldwide, and every PC on the planet can be in
compliance with the licencing (as long as GPL software is used) for that $70
fee. Of course, this would quickly put SuSE out of business, so many of us
go out and buy our own copies. And we keep going out and buying new
versions as they come out. Why ? Because we know it is a polished product.
We are aware that it will have bugs to be ironed out, and that they will
usually be ironed out very soon after they have been discovered. The MS
Iron Curtain hides its bugs and they drag their heels on getting updates
out. Linux vendors just seems more honest about their product. New
versions of a Linux distro are known to be evolutionary. MS always seems to
tout its latest OS as the panacea that the previous version was claimed to
be, but failed to deliver on.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough. Thanks to everyone who posted

Bye for now,
Stuart.