Re: [SLE] Wish list for SuSE 7.2 (what I see in Mandrake 8.0)
Good morning Lenz (it's morning here now)

> > It may be too early, but I hope my wish list can come true. : )
>
> Too early? You must be kidding, right? It's not like we start working on
> the next release just a week before it is supposed to hit the stores, you
> know.
>
> :)

I realised that by now, maybe....and hopefully 'not too late' than : )

> Of course this means, that there will _always_ be a later version of some
> of the packages when the CDs hit the stores. Murphy was an optimist.
>
> > a. Kernel 2.4.3 or later
>
> Check.

Thank you.

> > b. Auto config IDE burner (ML8 has done it, impressive)
>
> Check.

Thank you again

> > c. CUPS or better printing solution (ML8 got my HP710c to printer
> > perfectly, this is the first time under Linux)
>
> Check.

Thank you 3x.

> > d. Auto X configuration? (ML8 setup my 815 mobo graphic
automatically)

> Check.

Thank you 4x.

> (_How_ automatic? I still want to be able to choose the resolution/color
> depth!)

I like to have some control as well, but it just overflown my top and done.
: (

> > e. latest KDE
>
> Check.

Thank you 5x.

> > f. latest Samba
>
> Check.

Thank you 6x and please make life easier for us if possible with some 'tool'
etc...

> > g. Galeon? nice to have it : )
>
> Check.

Thank you 6x and how about gtoast (not sure the name is correct?)

> > h. Any other nice 'things'....
>
> Well, of course :)

Oh man, I love to see this... ; )

> > Sorry but ML8 is impressive at the first look, of course it also carry
some
> > problems:
> >
> > 1. no flash plug-in?
>
> Huh? It should be included in the Netscape package.

Well, I suppose you're right but I just can't find where it hide on the CD.
: (
Anyway, just don't have this happen on 7.2. : )

> > 2. the file system look very different??
>
> In what respect?

The file system is very 'weird', maybe I am getting used to SuSE file system
and fading away from RH and ML.?

> > 3. mozilla crash!

> I tested it yesterday (even as a Nautilus plugin) - works fine here.

It hang a few times while surfing, not fun at all. Nautilus and galeon are
okay but 'very' slooow.

> > IMHO, it is worth taking a look but I am not going to use it for real
work
> > : ) SuSE is still my love.
>
> Thank you :)
>
> Be assured, that we too take a close look at what the competition is
> doing...

Thanks for ensuring my investment (time and effort) on SuSE is justifiable.
: )

Good day.
Dennis/sg