Re: [SLE] How can I set up a basic gateway
  • From: Lenz Grimmer <grimmer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 23:49:11 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Matt wrote:

> Please could someone post me a very simple setup for configuring a
> gateway to connect 3 linux boxes to the internet where the modem is
> only connected to one box...
>
> ie internet <--->modem<--> box1 <---> box2 <--> box3
>
> So that all the users can connect to the internet.
>
> my network is setup with
>
> box1 192.168.10.1
> box2 192.168.10.2
> box3 192.168.10.3
>
> hostname box1 = linuxbox1
> hostname box2 = linuxbox2
> hostname box3 = linuxbox3
>
> All I need is edit this file .... type this into it etc.. etc...

So I assume box1 is your router, having the modem and one ethernet card
(192.168.10.1), while box2 and box3 are on the same subnet. First of all:
can all boxes "talk" to each other, if you ping their IP addresses? If
yes, that's a good start. Basically, box2 and box3 should use box1' IP
address (192.168.10.1) as their default gateway. Now box1 needs to know,
that is is supposed to forward incoming packets on eth0 to the modem.
Therefore box1 must have a default gateway, pointing to the Internet (this
is usually being set up automatically, when you dial in) and the variable
"IP_FORWARD" must be set to "yes" in /etc/rc.config. That should be it!

Or did I miss something here? I haven't done this for quite a while...

Bye,
LenZ
Lenz Grimmer SuSE GmbH
mailto:grimmer@xxxxxxx Schanzaeckerstr. 10
http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/ 90443 Nuernberg, Germany
One who is always in a stew generally goes to pot.