Re: [SLE] Wish list for SuSE 7.2 (what I see in Mandrake 8.0)
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 20:11:34 +0200
* Dennis <dlbt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:37:14PM +0800)
> It may be too early, but I hope my wish list can come true. : )
>
> a. Kernel 2.4.3 or later
2.4.5pre1 is out now ...

> b. Auto config IDE burner (ML8 has done it, impressive)
That should be easy ..
manual config is trivial to the point of being a nobrainer
(add /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi to a relevant init.d file
add hdX=ide-scsi to the relevant spot in /etc/lilo.conf
rerun lilo, reboot)

> c. CUPS or better printing solution (ML8 got my HP710c to printer
> perfectly, this is the first time under Linux)

Yup.
Printing is still a bit awkward

> d. Auto X configuration? (ML8 setup my 815 mobo graphic automatically)
I think Sax/Sax2 doesn an excellent job.
sax/sax2 works in more cases than autoXconfig.
autoXconfig will have to second guess you on several issues (3D
acceleration ? XF3 vs XF4 ? default resolution ?
and what do you do if your monitor lies about it's capabilities.

Sax2 w/ sensible defaults would be nice though.

> e. latest KDE
> f. latest Samba
> g. Galeon? nice to have it : )
> h. Any other nice 'things'....

a diald that does add defaultroute.
For some reason suses diald is slightly modified and doesn;t do the trick
for me. Apparen tly the vanilla diald does work correctly ...

and of course:
- latest mkreiserfs utilities (require 2.4 kernel) so that I can create a
resier fs that can handle files > 2G
- XFS/ext3

Kind regards,
--
Gerhard den Hollander Phone +31-10.280.1515
Technical Support Jason Geosystems BV Fax +31-10.280.1511

This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.