FW: [SLE] [OT] Legal Issues Type Question
  • From: "jennifer moter" <jmoter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:13:40 -0700
These people's business includes selling software licenses - check the home
page.
Just because you don't agree with someone's business doesn't mean you
have the right to 'stir up trouble'.

Find a dealer you like.

>From: Samy Elashmawy [mailto:samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
>Take your money elswhere.
>
> At 12:44 PM 5/2/2001 +0100, Eddie Howson wrote:
>>There is a company, Simply Computers (http://www.simply.co.uk) who will
not
>>sell a computer without an operating system. However, they do not offer
any
>>Linux distos. The only solution they offer is to buy MsDOS even if you
are
>>never going to use it. Is there anything that can be done or is there
>>anyway
>>that we can put pressure on the them to rethink their policy?
>>
>>Just wondered.
>>
>>Eddie
>>

>>>On Tuesday 01 May 2001 02:22, Stuart Powell wrote:
>>> Hello, everyone.
>>>
>>> I just wanted to see what trouble I could stir up this evening with an
>>> article I found this morning. I'm surprised Fred didn't send it on. If
>>> you don't think of MS as the Evil Empire yet, this may well push you
over
>>> the edge.
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18589.html
>>>
>>> This article raised many questions in my mind. Predominantly, though,
is
>>> this: Just how far can Microsoft go in its pursuit of pirates without
>>> overstepping the mark ? How much of this power can be wielded beyond US
>>> borders ?
>>>
>>> Let's say that I buy a shiny new PC from Gateway, for the sake of
argument.
>>> I order it without an OS, since I intend to install a lovely fresh copy
of
>>> SuSE on it, and don't want to have to pay the MS Tax. A vigilant
Gateway
>>> employee then calls up MS and says "Stoo just bought a new machine
without
>>> an OS. Please add another point to my score, as I am trying to win my
own
>>> yacht from the MS 'Shop Your Customers for Profit' promotion". The next
>>> thing I get is a phone call from a drone in Redmond. The call goes
>>> something like this...
>>>
>>> Drone - "Mr. Powell, it has come to our attention that you just bought a
>>> whizz-bang new Gateway PC without an OS. We will be sending the PC
police
>>> (http://www.bsa.org) over to make sure you bought a valid Windows
licence
>>> for that PC."
>>>
>>> Me - "Sod off ! It's running Linux."
>>>
>>> Question; can they still send the PC police round to check and see if I
>>> actually have Linux on the box ? What about the other PCs here that may
or
>>> may not be running Windows ? Can they check those just because they're
>>> here and they feel like it ? How about my friend's PC in the corner
that I
>>> will be upgrading with a new processor in a couple of days ? I don't
know
>>> if he has a valid Windows licence or not. I certainly can't produce one