Re: [SLE] Installing kernel 2.4 from scratch, few questions
  • From: Lewie Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:58:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Barnet,

It seems to affect Athlon systems using the VIA vt82c686a Southbridge
chip. The problem manifests itself as filesystem corruption when
long files are being accessed. The problem is in the VIA chip itself,
so other Athlon mobos should be okay. Kernel 2.2.4-pre6 and newer
seem to have the official VIA workaround. I never saw the problem,
it might only affect IDE disks, not SCSI.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Barnet Wagman wrote:

> > I wanted to upgrade as soon as possible because 2.4.4 has the
> > fix for the VIA Southbridge bug on Athlon mobos.
>
> What is this bug. and does it effect all Athlon systems? I'm on the
> verget of upgrading by Athlon system (MSI motherboard) from kernel 2.2.
> to 2.4
>
> Thanks
>
> bw

  • No further messages