Re: [SLE] [NEWS] When will SuSE have XFS support?
  • From: Mark Hounschell <dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 05:31:36 -0400
Jerry Kreps wrote:

> Let me offer some suggestions:
> 1) XFS has just been released - no significant testing has been done.
Bull SHT. Maybe not by SuSE directly but there are thousands of people
using it NOW.
I am and have been using it for about 8 Months at work. The ONLY road
block I know of
is the gcc revision required for it to function correctly (2.96.1). This
revision causes
me headaches for both the kernel and X/kde. Other than that issue (which
is significant)
there is nothing holding me back. I know that SuSE is watching it
closely. I think they
may even have people helping with it behind the schemes. I believe they
have alot invested
in reiser and don't want to appear as if they aren't in full support of
reiser so you may
NEVER see it on a SUSE dist. There have been plenty of bench marks done
and there has
been MUCH testing. It's almost as stable as reiser is. It's just that
kernel issue that is
holding it up for me. Is there a fix for reiser and knfsd? There are
support tools for XFS
also. Is there a dump/restore for reiser? I tell you XFS will be the one
to win. It's
considered the Rolls-Royce of file systems on sgi's hardware. Ask Sun or
HP or even IBM
who has the best journaling filesystem. They all know SGI does. It is
my beleif that
it WILL be for the desktop also very soon. Oh yea one other drawback.
They are red-hat
lovers. Can't have everything..

--
Mark Hounschell