weird problem after installing 7.1
  • From: John Grant <jmgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 04:51:06 -0700
I just finished doing a clean install of 7.1 (2.4 kernel) to a spare
drive on a system that used to be running 6.1 w/a 2.2 kernel. The
graphical installer kept hanging at the very first screen, but that's ok
as I wanted to use yast1 anyways. :) Yast1 had no problems. I
partitioned, formatted, and installed what I wanted on the new drive.
Lilo did it's thing & after a little tweaking of rc.config I rebooted.

Now though, whenever a network packet comes in on one of the two
ethernet cards (this being a gateway system), the keyboard starts acting
as if there's a "control-lock" key toggled. IOW, if you hit "r", you
get ctrl-r instead. This mode stays in effect until I hit the "Tux"
(aka Windows) key, whereupon the keyboard reverts to normal characters
until the next packet. The system seems fine otherwise... both ethernet
cards work, packets get where they're supposed to, I don't get any weird
error messages in the log or the boot message(s), etc.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? The exact same hardware
worked fine under 6.1 (and still works fine.. I rebooted back to the
original drive just to make sure).

TIA for any help on this one..

-John

  • No further messages