Re: [SLE] [OT] Legal Issues Type Question
On Monday 30 April 2001 09:22 pm, Stuart Powell wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I just wanted to see what trouble I could stir up this evening with an
> article I found this morning. I'm surprised Fred didn't send it on. If
> you don't think of MS as the Evil Empire yet, this may well push you over
> the edge.

> This article raised many questions in my mind. Predominantly, though, is
> this: Just how far can Microsoft go in its pursuit of pirates without
> overstepping the mark ? How much of this power can be wielded beyond US
> borders ?
>
> Let's say that I buy a shiny new PC from Gateway, for the sake of argument.
> I order it without an OS, since I intend to install a lovely fresh copy of
> SuSE on it, and don't want to have to pay the MS Tax. A vigilant Gateway
> employee then calls up MS and says "Stoo just bought a new machine without
> an OS. Please add another point to my score, as I am trying to win my own
> yacht from the MS 'Shop Your Customers for Profit' promotion". The next
> thing I get is a phone call from a drone in Redmond. The call goes
> something like this...
>
> Drone - "Mr. Powell, it has come to our attention that you just bought a
> whizz-bang new Gateway PC without an OS. We will be sending the PC police
> (http://www.bsa.org) over to make sure you bought a valid Windows licence
> for that PC."
>
> Me - "Sod off ! It's running Linux."
>
> Question; can they still send the PC police round to check and see if I
> actually have Linux on the box ? What about the other PCs here that may or
> may not be running Windows ? Can they check those just because they're
> here and they feel like it ? How about my friend's PC in the corner that I
> will be upgrading with a new processor in a couple of days ? I don't know
> if he has a valid Windows licence or not. I certainly can't produce one
> for it myself.
>
> And finally, how long is this kind of behaviour going to be tolerated
> before someone sees the light and puts a stop to this kind of thing ?
>
> Let the battle commence...
>
> Stuart.

Personally, I wish Microsoft luck in it's persuit of customer bullying. I
want them to bully the hell out of everyone. I wish them the best success in
coming up with a 100% uncrackable copyright protection scheme on their OS.

<WHISTLING TONE=INNOCENTLY>
Just means more people will be using Linux.
</WHISTLING TONE=INNOCENTLY>

-Steven