Re: [SLE] merging partitions
  • From: Chris Reeves <chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 02:11:11 +0100
On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:22:32PM -0400, Corvin Russell wrote:
> Hi Mads, let me be more precise. The partitions are not contiguous and I
> want both of them to be available to /home -- I'm not simply replacing
> one partition with the other. For the moment I have simply created a
> mount point on /home/corvinr, which suits me fine, but I was wondering
> if there was a more elegant way of doing it.

This is the sort of thing that LVM can be good for. Unfortunately, in order to
get it installed and working for your /home partition(s) you'll need to make
a backup of your data and reformat the two partitions (I think - I've never
actually used LVM before). Have a look into it on the web - it could be what
you want. AFAIK, it is not possible to get two 'normal' partitions and treat
them as one.

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 03:47:30PM -0700, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
>
> > * Corvin Russell <corvinr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [Apr 29. 2001 13:54]:
> > > I seem to recall someone saying that if you can't merge partitions
> > > (because you want to preserve data, e.g.), you can create a link
> > > pointing to the new partition. How does this work exactly? I have
> > > deleted an old partition and would like to have that space available
> > > to my home directory. What should I do?
> >
> > Copy you data there and change it in /etc/fstab.

Hope that helps,
Chris
--
__ _