[SLE] Hard Drive follies
  • From: tjhanson@xxxxxxxx (Tim Hanson)
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 18:11:48 -0800

I upgraded my system and along with the new board, processor, memory,
and all that I bought a 30 gig hard drive. I could not get fdisk to see
more than 7.9 gigs of it, even though I did all the standard things like
flash the bios, use the installation diskette from the manufacturer,
etc.

The only way I was able to partition the drive was to use the Windows 95
fdisk, with all its limitations including the one from marketing which
limits to one primary partition per drive. Eventually I partitioned a
15 gig primary and a 15 gig extended, then changed the type, formatted
and gave mount points in YaST. Now there is a 15 gig primary, a Windows
extended, with a Linux logical as the only partition there.

Cripes. Is there a better way?