Re: [SLE] Linux on ThinkPad 600X
  • From: crimson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (crimson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:43:09 -0400

I got Linux running a TP600X with X in 1280x1024x16Bpp... wasn't hard at
all...

* Anders Johansson <anders.johansson@xxxxxxxxx> [000404 01:59]:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2000, Gerry Doris wrote:
>
> > Check out the IBM website. There are instructions there on how to setup
> > their laptops for linux. I used those to put SuSE 6.3 on an IBM 600E and
> > it worked fine.
> >
> > If I remember correctly you have to recompile the kernel to get apm to
> > work correctly (specific choices have to be made that aren't in the
> > supplied kernel).
> >
> > You also have to select NeoMagic as well as a laptop screen. Seems to me
> > that I used SaX.
> >
> > Gerry
> >

> Hi Gerry and thanks for the reply.
>
> I did manage, through no fault of IBM, to discover that the card in the 600X
> (not E) is a NM2360, not 2160 as stated in the tech docs at the IBM support
> site. This chipset isn't supported by xfree yet, but it is supported by the Xi
> graphics commercial server. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for the free
> version.
>
> I also managed to get SaX started with sax -s XF86_VGA16
> Why doesn't sax use this as default from yast, or at least let me enter the
> parameters. For myself I can handle it, but if we want to make this a
> newbie-friendly system these things just *have* to work. (I.e. if the card is
> unsupported, the newbie should at least get as far as the drivers list to see
> for himself and be able to select a generic server)
>
> APM should be included in the kernel labeled 'Kernel with apm support' IMHO.
> However, it seems I spoke to soon on this. It was included, I just had to reboot
> the system to get it working. Haven't figured out why yet.
> //Anders
>
> --

Scott Walker Freedom Communications Inc.
crimson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://freedom.oftheinter.net

Court Room Quotes

Q: "Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition
notice which I sent to your attorney?"
A: "No, this is how I dress when I go to work."