Re: [SLE] Linux on ThinkPad 600X

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000, Gerry Doris wrote:

> Check out the IBM website. There are instructions there on how to setup
> their laptops for linux. I used those to put SuSE 6.3 on an IBM 600E and
> it worked fine.
>
> If I remember correctly you have to recompile the kernel to get apm to
> work correctly (specific choices have to be made that aren't in the
> supplied kernel).
>
> You also have to select NeoMagic as well as a laptop screen. Seems to me
> that I used SaX.
>
> Gerry

Hi Gerry and thanks for the reply.

I did manage, through no fault of IBM, to discover that the card in the 600X
(not E) is a NM2360, not 2160 as stated in the tech docs at the IBM support
site. This chipset isn't supported by xfree yet, but it is supported by the Xi
graphics commercial server. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for the free
version.

I also managed to get SaX started with sax -s XF86_VGA16
Why doesn't sax use this as default from yast, or at least let me enter the
parameters. For myself I can handle it, but if we want to make this a
newbie-friendly system these things just *have* to work. (I.e. if the card is
unsupported, the newbie should at least get as far as the drivers list to see
for himself and be able to select a generic server)

APM should be included in the kernel labeled 'Kernel with apm support' IMHO.
However, it seems I spoke to soon on this. It was included, I just had to reboot
the system to get it working. Haven't figured out why yet.
//Anders